View Single Post
Old May 10, 2006, 02:07 AM   #1
trooper3385

Savage Model 99 question

My dad purchased a Savage model 99 with the detachable mag in a 308 last year (tang safety). The first time he took it to the range, he fired 5 or 6 rounds without a problem. I don't know what the trigger pull was, but it had a hair trigger on it. Anyway, after several rounds, he was shooting another and when he pulled the trigger, nothing happened. He flipped it back to safety and fire several times and tried it again with no luck. After pulling it back on safety, he pushed it back on fire and it torched a round off without pulling the trigger. He sent it to a gun smith and supposedly had the problem fixed. After getting it back, he started to work the trigger and safety the same way at the house, unloaded this time. Same problem again. Same problem, wouldn't go off. Put it on safety and back to fire and the firing pin would release. Back to a different gun smith. The problem was supposedly fixed again, however, the trigger pull is way to heavy now. Anyway, the gun has since been giving to me. I've fired about 40 rounds through it without a problem. I wanted to get the trigger adjusted, but have been afraid to, do to the problems before. A couple of weeks ago I was at the range. I pulled the trigger, and it sounded like the firing pin dropped, but nothing. Kinda sounded like a dry fire, but not near as loud. Then, I just barely touched the trigger and the gun went off. It seemed like the trigger pull was just a few ounces. Hasn't done it since. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is. I'm not a gunsmith and the only thing I can think of is the trigger pull was reduced to much by a previous owner and it has messed up the safety on it.

Page generated in 0.03539 seconds with 8 queries