View Single Post
Old November 17, 2010, 02:29 AM   #19
Clark

Speer 13: "We are occasionally asked if the 30-30 can be loaded to higher velocities in a modern bolt action like the Remington model 788. The answer is NO! The 30-30 case is an old design with relatively thin walls. Attempting to load "hotter" would risk a dangerous case failure."

I think you could make a better case for Big Foot, UFOs, and global warming than you can for what Speer 13 says about 30-30 case strength.

At least there is some doubt in the other nut case ideas. Speer 13 is too easily dis-proven.

What measurable good are they going to get from a magnum primer in the little 223 case?
I can tell you what harm.. an extra grain's worth of pressure without an extra grain's worth of velocity.
That's a poor trade off.

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I am putting 34 gr W748 220 gr in a Sav 219L 30-30 for 83kpsi.
I have tried a number of brands of brass, and that brass must have not read Speer 13, because it has long brass life.

I am shooting 223 above max published loads because the .223 got SAAMI registered at 55 kpsi, but the 1950 .222 Win case head has long brass life at 75kpsi.

Page generated in 0.03726 seconds with 8 queries