View Single Post
Old August 10, 2006, 01:06 AM   #19
formerflyer

Rich and the other posters here are dead on. Dry fire, but skip the empty cartridge in the chamber thing (too easy to screw that up, and there’s absolutely no reason to do that with your 700). Practice from field positions. Dry fire some more. Get a .22 if you can afford it that’s similar in operating system to your hunting rifle (any bolt action .22 will do). Dry fire from field positions. Focus on where your sights (crosshairs) are the moment you feel the sear break. Did I mention dry firing?

Here’s the part that will probably get me flamed: More important than all of the above is to make sure you’re not learning bad habits that will limit you for life or have to be unlearned very tediously later. You want to learn to shoot a hunting rifle, and I’ve only seen a few competent instructors that are willing to teach that at a local range, so please skip the training at the local range. (I was a local range officer for years, and there’s absolutely no way to evaluate an instructor to know if you’ll be learning anything that’s useful without already knowing a bunch about shooting). Many of the volunteer instructors are a horror to watch. Most of the good ones will teach you stuff that won’t be that useful to you (DCM High Power, Benchrest, etc.)

If you can’t afford a trip to Gunsite (http://www.gunsite.net/rifle.htm), Thunder Ranch (http://www.thunderranchinc.com) or the like, then I’d recommend you pick up a copy of “The Art Of The Rifle” by Jeff Cooper. There’s a reason that the man is called “The Gunner’s Guru.” You can pick up a used copy on Amazon.com or directly from Gunsite. It’ll be the best 30-50 bucks you’ll spend as part of this process. More important than even the .22.

If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier.

Page generated in 0.03361 seconds with 8 queries