View Single Post
Old June 11, 2014, 09:47 AM   #4
F. Guffey

Quote:
headspace comparator gadget

Quote:
My .280 was measuring consistently +.004": how the heck are my sized cases larger than my fired cases? I measured several cases I had previously sized against ones I shot today. I have no idea how it's possible to get the shoulder moved forward but clearly I have a problem.
And that is it? I have no clue what press you are using, I would have to assume you are familiar with the phenomena of the case whipping the press.
Meaning the case does not get stuffed into the die, this leaves a gap between the bottom of the die and top of the shell holder, me? When the case whips the press I measure the gap between the bottom of the die and top of the shell holder with a feeler gage, some use light.

Reloading has not been fair to me, the amount of resistance to sizing from case to case is not the same, some cases require more effort because they have more resistance to sizing.

The misinformation started when someone made up the cute saying, fire form your cases, neck size them for the next 5 firings then start over by full length sizing, then there is that part where the case is not full grown until it has been fired 'X' number of times.. And that I find impossible, how can a reloader start over with a case that has been fired 6 times? And not of the reloaders making this stuff has a feeler gage and never check to see if the press won or the case won.

There are methods and techniques, I want to know if my press , die and shell holder has the ability to size the case back to minimum length, I want to know if it is necessary to return the case to minimum length by full length sizing.

Reloaders throw around the numbers of bump .001", "I bump my shoulders .002" etc." without explaining how. They size the case, remove it from the press then measure, after measuring they size the case again, remove the case and measure again and repeat this process until they obtain the magic number?

You can install the cut outs, then what? I do not assume the press, die and shell holder won, I verify, to verify measure the gap between the shell holder and die. Logic ask, why use the cut outs if the reloader is going to verify the gap, forget the cut out when converting degrees to thousands or degree of rotation? Go straight to the verifying tool, the feeler gage when making adjustments.

Then there is flex and deflection, the case has the ability to resist sizing, some more than other, that could lead to more flex and deflection. Reloaders go through the motion of sizing by assuming, not me, I have presses that flex, I have presses that came with a warranty/guarantee not to flex and or deviate, I am the only reloader that purchases the non flexing presses that has the ability to determiner fact and fiction, truth from nonsense.

In an effort to sort through problems a reloader was having I found he had screwed the die down 2 turns after contact with the shell holder. The gap between the bottom of the die and shell holder was .014", the press was an A2 RCBS.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; June 11, 2014 at 09:49 AM. Reason: trmobr t from ta

Page generated in 0.02329 seconds with 8 queries