View Single Post
Old November 28, 2012, 08:33 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The shop at the range where I shoot has had a state police commemorative for sale for several YEARS. I'm not sure if it belongs to the shop or if it's on consignment, but I suspect the latter because the price is $1400 and it hasn't been reduced even a nickel in four or five years.

Commemoratives aren't of interest to most collectors -- they want the genuine military issue pistols. A pistol such as you describe is worth however much you are willing to pay for it, and that's the best estimate you're likely to get.

As to telling the seller you'll function check it before paying -- don't be surprised if he says no. A few years ago I looked at one of the Colt O1911 WW1 reproductions, when they were still in the middle of the 4,000 unit production run. The shop owner was very careful to tell me that he had not racked the slide, because many buyers don't want any chance of a stray scratch or mark that can occur if the slide is cycled. I respected his wishes and didn't try to cycle the slide.

These pistols are intended to be looked at, not shot. If it were mine and I were selling it, if a prospective buyer insisted on racking a slide that had never been racked, I would invite him to find another seller and another pistol.

Once you buy it, it's your pistol and you can rack the slide all you want.

Page generated in 0.02197 seconds with 8 queries