View Single Post
Old February 18, 2011, 06:49 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinperiphery
Nope these were loaded into .38spl cases. though I have wondered about loading .38's into .357 cases... guess theres more to it than just using .38 data then?
357 cases are longer, so there's more space for the powder to burn in, therefore less pressure is created by a given amount of powder.... so you could easily squib (stick in barrel) if you used 38 load data in 357mag cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinperiphery
I'm going to buy some .308 dies to get started with that soon! any chance theres a versatile powder that I could use to load both .38spl, and subsonic .308?
You could use several pistol powders to load subsonic .308 but you might have trouble finding load data for the .308.... if you use lead bullets in the 38spl, Trail Boss is a WONDERFUL powder for mild 38spl loads and very, very mild .308 loads. It burns very clean. It makes a rifle sound like a corkgun almost.

Pistol powders like Unique or Bullseye can be used for light .308 loads too, but you'll probably need someone with a program called QuickLoad to generate some load data for you. There are several of us with QuickLoad on this forum.

Page generated in 0.02545 seconds with 8 queries