View Single Post
Old July 12, 2000, 10:47 PM   #15
Mel Hoskin

J.R. I have to recommend the Dillon Square D. Once you adjust the dies and the powder measure, your adjustments are over for the Cal. you are reloading for(45 Colt, if I have read your msg correctly). I have a Pacific(Hornady) single stage, Dillon 500 AT, Dillon 650 and a Dillon Square D. Had a Lee turret press that I threw out, as it was more trouble than it was worth, and didn't feel right offering it to another shooter.
I can verify Dillons guarntee, as they replaced all of of reloading equipment that I had procured from them after my house burnt down at no cost to me.

MelQUOTE]Originally posted by J.R. Arens:
I am admittedly mechanically inept. When I owned a Harley Sportster (new model) the mechanic recommended that I not work on my bike after seeing some of my work. I consider it a major feat when I change the oil on my current BMW R80/7 and there are no major oil spills/drips. (I am good on the computer , though, and can work the hand pump La Pavoni Professional espresso maker. I figure its good practice for reloading!)

I have not reloaded yet, but plan to SOON for economic reasons. I shoot Ruger single action revolvers (.22 and .45 colt). Since the Blackhawk is single action, my shooting output isn't real high. I'd be hard pressed to shoot over 70 rounds of the .45 colt at a time, and I only get to the range once a week (I have young 'uns at home). If I purchase additional firearms, they will either be .45 colts (I'm interested in the cowboy action shooting) or another shotgun. The only reason I would consider a different caliber firearm (at this time) is for ammunition cost reasons (which is why I'm interested in reloading). One additional point, my personality / lifestyle is not such that I will sit down for two hours and reload. I'm more to do 15 minutes here, 10 minutes another time, 20 minutes before bed, etc.

I have spent some time browsing the board on posts through at least December of last year. The consensus appears to either be the rockchucker or the Dillion Square B for my reloading style.

So my questions are:
-Should I also consider a turret/H style? (i.e. RCBS new one) (ABC of Reloading recommends over the single stage)
-After purchasing dies, shell holder, and ammo trickler (sp?), isn't the price of the slower rockchucker similar to the Dillion Square B?
-Which one requires the least "tinkering"? Once the Square D is set-up, can you leave it alone and just pull the crank or is there always little adjustments required each time (assuming all the components stay the same)?
-For my life style mentioned above, which would be safest and most efficent?

Bear with me on this. I'm just trying to make the right decision. I do want to keep it simple. At the same time, I don't want to spend all my time just reloading.
John

[This message has been edited by J.R. Arens (edited July 08, 2000).]
[/QUOTE]

------------------

Page generated in 0.02582 seconds with 8 queries