View Single Post
Old January 24, 2005, 11:40 AM   #4
Master Blaster

I keep track of the number of firings on all of my many different calibers and generations of brass. Here is what I do.

When I get a new batch of once fired brass, I clean it in my tumbler, then I place it in large ziploc bags (2 Gallon heavy duty) I mark on the bag with masking tape, The date, 1X fired. when I load it for the second firing, I mark the date load and the number of loaded (2x) on a slip of paper in the box of relaoded rounds. I fire it and place the fired cases in a cut off gallon milk jug marked with the caliber and number of firings(2X). I then clean the brass again when the jug fills and mark, the plastic bag with the loading number 3X. And so on, its not hard to do. So I know how many firings on every piece of brass I have.

I load .223, 30.06, .308, 9mm, .38 spl, 357 mag, 44 mag, .45 acp, 32 acp, and I manage to keep track of it all. I toss the brass when a particular lot has a large number of splits (hasnt happened and some of my .45 has been loaded 15x). or shows signs of case seperation or loss of case neck tension due to work hardening in the case of rifle rounds. I buy once fired brass or new brass, from a local range in the case of pistol. My rifle is bought new, or given to me by those who dont reload, .223 and .308 I buy 1x fired 100 % processed lake city brass from scharchs(sp). Is ort the .223 and .308 by headstamp for accuracy reasons.

My procedure is not difficult or expensive, just requires masking tape, a marker, milk jugs, and plastic bags, and keeping things seperated.

I think it enhances safety, and quality of my reloads.

Page generated in 0.03338 seconds with 8 queries