View Single Post
Old June 6, 2014, 05:42 PM   #8
Kirkpatrick

I say the PTR91 on an objective basis, but maybe the Polyech for you personally. I don't have the Polytech M14 so I'm not really knowledgeable about it, but some principles apply across any commercial mechanical product.

Durability: We know the PTR91 is durable. It is almost exactly an HK91 and the the reliability of those rifles are known and have a great record. So, the PTR91 which as tangolima pointed out, uses HK parts is going to have durability at least approaching the HK91. The Polytech is known for using substandard parts compared to the original and would have to have many parts replaced before it became close to the original in spec. But you did express an interest in doing just that.

Accuracy: I like my PTR91 and feel for a battle rifle it does great. But out of the box its not likely to win many competitions. Of course you could always invest in parts and bring it up to G3 specs and then you would have a very accurate rifle. I don't know for sure about the Polytech, but we know that many of the parts are not even close to the Springfield, so accuracy can be questionable, especially on a rifle to rifle basis based on QC that is not up to the standard of Springfield (at least as far as I know). But if you bring it up to Springfield specs, we know that the Springfield is more accurate than the PTR91.

Holding Value: The Polytech might hold its value, but as soon as you start upgrading, unless you plan on not selling the rifle, you will probably just be throwing money in a hole. After all, no really cares about the aftermarket improvements done to a Tarsus if they are in the market for a Taurus. But, someone might be interested in a PTR91 brought up to G3 specs if the price was right. But who is looking for a Polytech brought up to Springfield specs?

Better Rifle: This is one super subjective questions. If you are looking for a machine to reliably throw .308 rounds time after time with reliability and reasonable accuracy over a long term basis, out of the box, I'd say PTR91 all the way. But if you are looking for an investment and just considering the return on what you pay vs what you sell, shopping for used, super deals on the Polytech might be your way to go. Are you just looking for fun at the range? But, you did say that you wanted a Polytech and want to work on it and improve on its accuracy and performance. Seems to me that the Polyech is the better gun for you as you have expressed a strong interest in it.

Go have fun.

Page generated in 0.02425 seconds with 8 queries