Thread: Brass frames
View Single Post
Old June 1, 2013, 06:17 PM   #5
Gatofeo

Never liked brass frames, and I've owned two.
I've almost always found that their fit and finish was significantly lesser than steel-framed guns.
There's a reason why brass-framed guns are cheaper -- factories don't put as much time into fitting and finishing them.
They're okay as first-time guns. I cut my cap and ball teeth about 1970 on an inauthentic brass-framed 1851 Navy in .44 caliber. I eventually discarded it after the third multiple ignition incident damaged it beyond practical repair.
And sometimes, I like to load my steel-framed guns to their maximum load, just for fun. I never have concerns when using black powder or Pyrodex P, but avoid using Hodgdon 777 in my revolvers. Tricky stuff, requiring small volumes of powder than black or Pyrodex P.
Contrary to perception, brass-framed revolvers were exceedingly rare during the Civil War. Colt never made any, and the South only produced a few thousand.
I'd rather go with a steel frame, for both strength and better workmanship from the factory.

Page generated in 0.03646 seconds with 8 queries