View Single Post
Old December 27, 2011, 08:41 PM   #13
tgreening

Quote:
If you are looking for common parts, you probably do not want a piston gun since most of them have proprietary parts and every piston system is slightly different from the other guy's piston system.

That changes things a bit. Obviously non-standard parts would be an issue given my priorities. What about these switched gas blocks I've read about? I'm assuming this is going to be proprietary as well. If I recall correctly these are made specifically for running a weapon silenced/unsilenced by controlling the speed of the cycling, correct?

Quote:
As for a readily available caliber, it will probably be a while until you see .300 Blackout in WalMart. On the other hand, Federal, Remington, Hornady, etc. all sell the caliber online. I think the best price I've seen in a quick look is still $0.08 per round though.
.08, or .8?

Quote:
And the only difference parts-wise between a .300 Blackout and 5.56mm is the barrel/barrel extension. It uses the same gas tubes, bolts, magazines, etc.
So if I had a 5.56 I could just swap out the barrel for a .300 and be good to go? Or to be really simple two separate uppers of each caliber and swap out as desired. That might be an interesting angle.

Quote:
But I definitely understand the desire to stick with 5.56mm.... I just think you are sacrificing a lot of what makes 5.56mm useful once you get down into barrels under 11.5" though.

Can you explain this in a bit more detail? I've watched vids (yeah, I know) where the makers are making center mass out to 300 yrds, with barrels of less than 8". For what I want, I'm good with that. I'm not looking for .5 MOA at 300 yds or anything. If I want that I'd buy a regular rifle, and probably hire someone to do the shooting because I doubt I'm capable of that in any case.

To you other guys. I appreciate the feedback and apologize for not replying directly. Quoting is a bit of a chore on this site.

Page generated in 0.02363 seconds with 8 queries