View Single Post
Old January 27, 2012, 07:21 PM   #1
0302Grendel

First Time Reloader - Questions

Started reloading about a month ago. I have a 6.5 Grendel, and figured I would try my hand at it. Have helped a couple of buddies in the past reload, so I had a general idea of what I was doing. Got all the gear together, read a lot, watched videos on U-tube, and asked questions from friends who have been reloading. After all my research, I had a couple of weird things happened today while seating bullets in my brass.

Equipment - RCBS Rock Chucker with Lee dies, RCBS dial micrometer.

Material - Lapua Scenar 123gr bullets, Hornady once fired brass trimmed to 2.10, PPU once fired brass trimmed to 2.10, Win 748 powder (28.5g). Primers were a mix of CCI 450, Win 205M, Rem 7 ½ and Win WLR. Purpose of this session was to see how the primers performed in my rifle.

Issues – when seating the bullets in the PPU brass, there was a WIDE variation of seating depths – OAL from 2.70 to 2.55. Did not have this problem with the Hornady brass, all were within .01 of my seating OAL target of 2.64. I used a brass puller to pull the short rounds, and adjusted my press to get the OAL within my target length with the long ones. Still had to play with the seating depth on all bullets that were off to get to my desired OAL. There seemed to be no issue with neck tension, as all the bullets were a pain to pull.

Has anyone seen this before? Am I gooning something up? Is it unsafe to fire these bullets?
Thanks in advance.

Page generated in 0.02082 seconds with 8 queries