View Single Post
Old December 29, 2011, 11:23 AM   #17
F. Guffey

F. Guffy

I was in the process of setting up a body die for my No 1V in 220 Swift. All the cases were once fired Remington from the same lot. Headspace of all cases after firing were within .0005 or less. Five cases were used to progressively adjust the die the reduce the headspace by .002 less than fired cases. Reached consistent measurement with all five cases. After this step, I resized several cases and they were measuring .005 less than the fired cases. As I mentioned in my previous post, the die does not contact the shell holder when the ram is fully raised. When the ram is lowered it made a popping sound and it could be felt in the handle.

There is a reoccurring question, why won’t the die contact the shell holder, do you have the die adjusted off the shell holder, or, the die will not contact the shell holder when sizing a case even though the die is adjusted to the shell holder before sizing???

You are posting some great numbers like .0005, and using a body die, is that a body die without a shoulder or part of a shoulder or a body die with a bushing that can be raised up or down, or is it a die that can be used when the bushing has been removed, I am not a fan of creating my own problems, I am a fan of transfers and standards, and verifying, yes, I am the fan of verifying. You used 5 cases to progressively adjust the die to reduce head space (or reduce the length of the case from the head of the case to the shoulder .002 thousands). and that is great, I use the feeler gage, I adjust the gap between the bottom of the die and top of the shell holder, if I use your method, I would would still use the feeler gage to ‘VERIFY’, If after making the adjustments and I found the length of the case from the head of the case to the shoulder was -.005 and not -.002, I would use the feeler gage to adjust (reduce) the gap between the die and press .003 thousands.

Popping sound?, there are pin/wire gages and there are dial indicators, to determine the amount of ware/slack use two dial indicators to determine the amount of travel in change of directions.

Back to cam over, all of my cam over presses bump, that makes my cam over presses bump presses, all of my cam over bump presses bump twice, once on the way up and again on the way down, and I can measure the amount of bump/cam over. Then there are presses that did not bump/cam over that were modified, they run like they were made of glass, no clunk, jam, bind etc., the ram just runs straight up and straight down(with a bump at the top).

Again, I determine the length of the chamber first, others fire first then try to determine what ever? By knowing the length of the chamber before firing I can off set the length of the chamber with the length of the case, I can adjust the die to control the length of the case when sizing.

And time is a factor.

Clunk when there is a change in directions between the toggle and ram, The holes can be knurled and them reamed if the pin is not worn, if the pin and holes are worn the holes can be reamed to oversized for an oversized pin.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02239 seconds with 8 queries