View Single Post
Old September 17, 2011, 07:31 AM   #4
dahermit

Quote:
Thank you sir . I'm a Speer guy and I was quite upset when I heard they were scrapping the Hot-Core process in favor of the new Deep Curl design . Looks like maybe my fears are unfounded . I've been waiting for them to show up on my dealers shelves , so I could buy some and give them a try .
When Speer Hot Cores first came out, out of curiosity to see how they bonded to the jacket, I cut a couple in half length-wise starting at the tip, with a jack knife and a hammer. When the bullets were halved, the lead cores just fell out. "Bonded" my foot. It was just a "mechanical" (core held in jacket by the closed top of the jacket), lock despite the hype from speer. I do not know if they improved after that, I stopped using any Speer bullet when I noticed that there was a least one, sometimes two, faulty (cores cut short, or deformed bullets), bullets in each box of Speer pistol bullets I bought. I figured that if they were that sloppy with pistol bullets, and their "Hot Core" rifle bullets were mostly baloney, there could be a problem with all their products. That was in the middle 60's though, they may have improved their products. I switched to Hornady for all my hand loading of hunting bullets.

Page generated in 0.02145 seconds with 8 queries