View Single Post
Old January 23, 2012, 12:22 AM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

Something is missing here. It is up to the person buying a gun "on the net" to send the seller/shipper a copy of his license (01 or 03) or if not a licensee, a signed copy of a dealer's 01 license. (A licensed collector (03) cannot order for anyone but himself, and then only C&R items.) Normally, the license copy can be sent by fax, but some companies do not accept a fax copy; BATFE allows acceptance of a fax, they do not require that it be accepted.

Some dealers choose, for whatever reason, not to accept transfers. It is probably a waste of time to try to change those folks' minds. But there are some things you can do. One is to be on good terms with your dealer. Buy stuff from him, and drop in from time to time. He may not be well disposed toward someone he never saw before who storms in and demands that he accept a gun bought on the net when he has the same gun in his showcase.

My personal inclination is not to buy sight unseen, from someone who may be describing a rusty relic as NIB or who may doctor his pictures. I would rather pay a few dollars more and be able to see the item and know the dealer will take it back if it isn't right. (And I have seen several instances when the item ordered on the net, when shipping costs, insurance and dealer transfer fee were included, actually cost more than the same gun from the dealer's case.)

Jim

Page generated in 0.02482 seconds with 8 queries