View Single Post
Old May 25, 2013, 09:43 AM   #11
Enfielder

When I was 9 yrs. old (1961), my oldest brother came home from college on summer break. Not long after he arrived, so did a Model 38 that he had ordered from P&s Sales of Ok. He paid ~$13 for it. When he opened the box, he was not impressed with what was in it. For me however, it was love at first sight. He resorted to soaking the metal parts in tractor fuel (between gasoline and kerosene) to remove the cosmoline, and used a pocket knife to scrape off the crud adhering to the stock. He loaded it with surplus ammo on clips that he had ordered with the rifle, tied the rifle to a small tree trunk at the base of the hill, tied a string to the trigger, and pulled the string until the Mod. 38 went off. The recoil promptly kicked the stump out of the ground, but the receiver didn't blow up! He and my other brother took turns firing the little rifle, but neither developed any affection or appreciation for it. Before I had a chance to work out a payment plan, he sold it to an aquaintance, and that was the last I ever saw of it. A couple of years after that, sales of firearms by mail were prohibited, and I missed that wonderful opportunity. In the years since then, I've bought a Carcano in absolutely new condition (courtesy of the Finnish Army) in 7.35 mm with a folding bayonet and sheath in excellent condition, and this little sporterized Mod. 1891. I'm no expert by any means, but these appear to be both ends of the scale. The 7.35mm is a very well made, and well preserved milsurp, while the Sport. Mod. 91 is a product of all the neglect and exploitation that so many of these fine little arms suffered. My original posting was looking for information as to what company possibly sporterized it. Photos of Chevy00's sport. Mod 1891 are identical to mine, indicating that they were sporterized by the same company. Still in all, all of you have provided a great amount of information about a one-time mainstay of the surplus market. Thanks!

Page generated in 0.07975 seconds with 8 queries