View Single Post
Old August 5, 2000, 08:44 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

My resource(Side by Sides of the World by Charles E. Carder) lists two different Bakers, one English and one American. I suspect yours is the American.
BAKER GUN CO, W.H.; William H. Baker [1835-1889] was a master gunsmith and a very inventive designer. In 1875 he moved to syracuse, New York, and began manufacturing shotguns. About 1878 he, his brother (Dr. Ellis L. Baker) and the Smith brothers (Lyman C. and Leroy H.) established the new firm of W.H.BAKER & COMPANY for the purpose of manufacturing shotguns. The partnership lasted only two years, at which time Lyman C Smith bought out the partners shares and renamed the company L.C. SMITH, MAKER OF THE BAKER GUN. Soon after, W.H.Baker moved to Ithaca NY and with several partners established the new ITHACA GUN COMPANY. In 1887 he returned to Syracuse to work for his brother who had formed a small forging company known as the SYRAACUSE FORGING COMPANY. They manufactured carriage part and hammer shotguns until a fire put them out of business. The Baker brothers then took their forging business to Batavia NY and continued to produce carriage parts, and later automobile parts, along with the growing shotugn production. Upon William's death, Dr. Ellis L. Baker gave up his medical practice to actively take control of the company, which he renamed the BAKER GUN & FORGING COMPANY. Ellis died in 1899, however the company continued the forging of auto parts and the manufacturing of shotguns until 1919 when the H.D. Folsom Company of New York City bought out the gun portion of the business. William H. Baker held many patents and is credited with the design of the Baker guns, the early L.C. Smith guns and the first Ithaca guns. Barrels for Baker guns were imported Belgian Damascus, English Twist, or German Krupp steel. Great care adn attention was taken to assure correct patterns and accuracy. Baker porduced sidelock guns with and without hammers, and boxlock type guns with hammers.
Baker also designed a unique safety mechanism that is designed for hammerless guns. It not only blocked the triggers, but also placed blocks between the hammers and firing pins. After loading and closing the gun the safety blocks automatically move into the safe position. This is pretty much the same as with many new double barrels produced today.
Then there is a listing of the 19 side by sides produced by Baker; including the one alluded to in your post - Grades A & B; Hammerless, Engraved Damascus barrels.
Soryy but I can't help on pricing but if it was me buying I'd see if I couldn't get the price down somewhat as most of these aren't shooters but mostly wallhangers b/c of the use of corrosive ammo, the age and condition of the gun etc. Though from the sound of this one it may be a shooter still. Have an independent smith look at it beforehand to declare it it's safe to shoot if you're looking for a shooter. Good luck!

Page generated in 0.03461 seconds with 8 queries