View Single Post
Old March 19, 2009, 03:25 AM   #24
jgcoastie

Our "safe zone" is on the far side of the bed. I've taken two sheets of 3/4" plywood and cut them to length and height and put two layers along both sides of the mattress, vertical. Thus giving myself and my family 1.5" + queen size matterss + 1.5" of protection.

Upon intrusion, my wife runs to get the kid while I guard the hall between our rooms with my G22 and 210L light. She takes the little one to the far side of the bed, grabs the S&W 642, maglite, and cellphone. She calls the calvary as I lock the bedroom door and shove a galvanized 2" pipe between the door and the bed to shore the door closed (it's a heavy *** bed). I join her and the kid on the far side of the bed and wait it out. We don't come out until the responding officers relay the all clear to the 911 operator and the operator tells us.

And yes, we go through fully pre-briefed dry runs about every month using my neighbor as the Bad Guy and also as an objective observer. (And yes, we use fake guns )
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.

Page generated in 0.03180 seconds with 8 queries