Thread: Trip report
View Single Post
Old April 23, 2013, 06:12 AM   #1
Doc Hoy

Trip report

Had to come to western, VA for a conference and stopped at a coupla gun shops.

(Sheesh...Why do they call them gun shops?! They sell firearms, not guns)

Okay...Off the soap box.

Alleghany Arms in Convington. (1023 S Highlands) Nice shop. Has a good range of used weapons plus sells new Taurus, Glock and Smith and Wesson. Also has some of the more recent 1911 mini's (ATI I think) They are kind of sweet. Just like the original inoperation and appearance but almost small enough for CC.

He had an Oviedo Mauser 7 x 57 for 159.00. It is way out of my interest range (Don't want to start loading smokeless and don't want to get into yet another caliber) but I almost bought it anyway. The action and bore are superb but the stock is badly cracked and badly repaired.

He had three different kinds of BP subs. Prices were a buck more than the big guys but I bought two cannisters anyway. He also does light gunsmithing in the store. (Drill and tap for scope and such)

Then went to Mountain Top at 212 N Monroe also in Covington. Shop is a little smaller but he had a good selection of battle rifles. Mosin Nagant, a Jap, and one other which I did not examine because it was already sold. He did not keep or sell loose powder.

These two guy represent (IMNSHO) a treasure that we should work to preserve.

And....This is one of the most beautiful parts of VA. Those who are close might want to drop by.

Page generated in 0.03198 seconds with 8 queries