View Single Post
Old July 19, 2008, 10:46 PM   #7
Sarge

Quote:
Ladies and Recoil
I have only shot a shotgun once, using a rifle kind of round (not buckshot). I could handle the recoil, but it did smart. I have been thinking about buying a shotgun to defend myself, and I have a couple of questions:

1. I live in Los Angeles. Are there issues with having a shot gun in an apartment in Los Angeles? (I have taken a gun safety class.)

2. I was told that the Winchester Defender doesn't have a bad recoil. Is this true?
Ma'am,

I have been teaching the combat shotgun for some time now, and often to female officers who are downright petite. The simple fact is that when used with combat loads, the shotgun just flat kicks. I have had pretty good results by coaching these shooters to take advantage of their lower center of gravity by standing with their feet spread a tad further apart, bending the leading knee a little and leaning into the gun just a bit more than their male counterparts. It seems to spread the recoil out over more of their anatomy. I also note that girls with longer arms seem to have less trouble with the scattergun and this makes sense because stock fit is important if you're going to do your best work with any long gun.

Some gals however seem unfazed by the shotgun and my daughter is one of them. She is tall but not heavy. When she moved to Alaska I gave her a my 870 RS and a couple hours instruction on 'fast & dirty' with the slug gun. We started with contact/retention drills, and then moved back. She caught on immediately and punching center X's on a B27 at 15 yards, fast, with full-tilt Federal slugs. It made me wince to watch her because I knew they were beating the hell out of her. She ran through two boxes and said "Got any more, Daddy? This is FUN!" Pity the poor bear or miscreant who gives her a split second to get that 870 on them.

Finally, there are now stocks available that mitigate recoil to the point that almost anyone can manage a 12 gauge stoked with serious loads. If they had been available when I started teaching the LE shotgun years ago, my job would have been a whole lot easier,

http://www.knoxx.com/technology/Spec...psNRS_FAQs.php

Good luck with your quest.

Last edited by Sarge; July 19, 2008 at 11:28 PM.

Page generated in 0.03518 seconds with 8 queries