View Single Post
Old March 27, 2011, 05:39 PM   #10
PawPaw

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

Probably the most recommended load in the world for .44 magnum is a 240-250 grain hardcast semi-wadcutter bullet over 22 grains of Alliant 2400. Alliant doesn't list this recipe anymore, preferring to limit the powder weight to 20 grains. This was Elmer Keith's preferred load for the pistol, but powder changes over time. Maybe 2400 is a little more energetic than it used to be, maybe not.

Personally, I find that a 240 grain cast bullet over 19 grains of 2400 gives me 1345 fps out of my Ruger and it's become my standard load for that revolver. It's very accurate and when you drop the hammer you know that you've got a magnum in your hands.

2400 is an excellent powder for the .44 magnum. It's the one I've settled on and used for a long time. I'm to the point now where I only have one load for the .44 magnum and one load for the .44 special. It uses Unique.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com

Page generated in 0.02389 seconds with 8 queries