View Single Post
Old June 18, 2013, 05:32 PM   #42
Double Naught Spy

Maybe I missed bragging rights somewhere, but I always assumed that benched groups were for the purpose of determining the best expected potential performance that would be had from the combination of elements and not that it was a predictor of how a given shooter would perform in the field. I thought you shot for groups so that you would know what combination would give you the best chance of performing well in the field. That a shooter shoots 1/2 MOA off the bench and 7 MOA during a match or in the field are really two different considerations (assuming we aren't talking a benchrest competition, LOL).

I have seen this, however. A guy shooting his 1 MOA ammo (benched) and getting 4" groups offhand at 100 yards was still better than when he changed to 4 MOA (benched from same gun) ammo and shot 5-7" groups offhand.

I know that if I want to go hunting, I am not picking the 4 MOA (benched) ammo for the job.

Page generated in 0.03651 seconds with 8 queries