View Single Post
Old January 6, 2013, 10:35 AM   #26
dgludwig

Quote:
I had eyed up that very same 7600P carbine many times as a candidate for a 358 conversion. What held me back is that it doesn't have a high-comb stock like the normal 7600's for nice eye-to-scope alignment, and also that 16.5" barrel.

One of my favorite rifles for deer hunting is an early-fifties made Remington Model 760, chambered in 30-06 Springfield. I prefer the older model 760s to the newer ones precisely because they weren't made with "high-comb" stocks; the older ones with their low comb drops being best-suited for use with iron sights. A model 760, fitted with a receiver sight like the Williams FoolProof I've had on mine for the past fifty decades, is one speedy and handy rifle to mount, point, get a good sight picture and shoot, especially when hunting in places like the Michigan cedar swamps I find myself in. And there's nothing much faster if a second shot is called for than a Remington pump rifle. They make lever-action rifles like my Savage model 99 and Winchester models 1886 and 94, look positively slow in comparison.
Because I like bigger calibers for "woods" rifles, I've given thought to having my 30-06 model 760 rebored to .35 Whelen-but I've pretty much given up on the idea because I doubt it'd be worth the time, effort and expense in a practical sense.

Page generated in 0.03166 seconds with 8 queries