View Single Post
Old January 4, 2013, 04:36 PM   #153
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Train
You'll have to give me some time to think about federal powers that I do not like. Of course, I might throw in some state and local powers, too, just to keep it interesting.

What I keep trying to imply here, which you may have missed, is to get people away from the idea of an armed rebellion. Keep in mind that you won't get anywhere without the support of either the armed forces or the national guard (the militia). Also, I'm trying to dissuade people from thinking that government is a necessary evil. The only time in the past when there was a temporarily successful rebellion, all that happened, government-wise, was the formation of yet another government that was hardly any different from the other one.

On the other hand, Mae West is quoted as saying that when she had to choose between two evils, she liked to pick the one she hadn't tried before. That's about all it would amount to.
I have to agree that the idea of an armed insurrection is no longer a viable option for restoring or maintaining a constitutional authority. Unless, as you point out, the armed services were on the lay-mans side. The quotes about how the people of America make up the most powerful army in the world are long since outdated. We do not have and have no hope of attaining in any significant numbers the type of weaponry that would be required to win a full-on battle against the armed forces of this nation. If they joined the hypothetical rouge government that we'd be trying to restore to constitutional authority, we'd be AT BEST like the armed rebels of Syria, and far worse off in reality, as they have access to significantly more firepower than American civilians and are facing a foe with exponentially less power.

However, I disagree about government. It is absolutely a necessary evil. Power corrupts. Government is power. Many individuals and certainly the beast as a whole are massively corrupt.

Page generated in 0.02828 seconds with 8 queries