View Single Post
Old June 26, 2008, 11:29 AM   #25
stephen426

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback thus far. I know that disarming techniques are dangerous. I just hate being at the mercy of an unknown attacker. The problem with wait and see is it is often too late to do anything after the bad guy shoots you unexpectedly. If he tells you to turn around and marches you to a back room or tells you to get on your knees, what chances do you have at that point?

What I am saying is look for an opportunity (if it presents itself) where you have the best chances of taking control of the situation. For instance, if the gunman is within contact distance of you, you have the opportunity to act. Depending on the distance, you can make a break for it, turn a corner, or find cover. You would have to be reasonably far away to do that though and hope the bad guy isn't a great shot on moving targets.

As for my initial scenario, the surrender position I was talking about was with my hands up and to either side at head level. That way it is closer to my body and presumably the gun. The reason for pushing gun with my right hand is economy of motion (again, this is presuming the gun man is right handed and has the gun either close to centerline or to my right). Sweeping with the left involves bringing your arm down and then out. It is slower and you have less ability to sweep the gun away from your body.

As I mentioned before, the reason for the strike to the throat is that it will give you a huge advantage if the attacker is bigger than you. The throat is highly sensitive and even a decent hit will make it difficult for the bad guy to breathe. If the gunman is stronger, he would probably overpower you in a gun grab situation (without any debilitating strikes). Heck, even an eye gouge is very painful and will hinder an attackers ability to hit you. You are dealing with a much smaller target though so that is why I mentioned the throat.

I guess this is a play it by ear kind of thing and take the opportunity if it arises or becomes necessary. It never hurts to have more tricks in the bag though.

Page generated in 0.03126 seconds with 8 queries