View Single Post
Old October 26, 1999, 05:30 PM   #1
hologon

Ok.

Being told that the shotgun is a far better HD weapon than the dinky 9mm handgun, it is now time for me to explore the shotgun.

Since I can't seem to find anywhere nearby (here in Central/Northern NJ -- anyone want to tell me otherwise?) that allows me to 1) shoot shotgun, much less 2) RENT shotguns, I'm going to be getting scant practice and really no chance to try out the gun before I buy one.

I've never shot a shotgun before in my life. I've shot .22 and 9mm. Is the difference between 9mm and 12gauge like the difference between .22 and 9mm? Or is it just not comparable?

A lot of people have pointed toward the 500, 590, or 870HD types -- something with a 18-22" barrel. Looks good.

Now, the big problem I have is trying to decide between 20gauge and 12gauge.

I'm 5'6", 135lbs sopping wet, and until recently, had problems limp-wristing 9mm Glock.

Sad, huh?

(With my recent acquistion of a USP in 9, I no longer have this problem. )

I'm not exactly your typical 6'2" 190lb American hunk of immovable steel, which means that I'm more recoil sensitive than a bulldozer . In my own defense, lemme say that I've had about two years of TKD training, so I'm not a COMPLETE wuss.

Which brings me to my question.

How is the recoil of that 12 vs the 20?

Am I going to have problems with followup shots, pain, chiropractor bills? Do people my size ever have problems with the 12? I like the 12gauge because everything is made in it, and shells are widely available, as compared to 20, which is a little less widespread. I'd prefer to buy into 12 gauge, unless I take it to the range and proceed to throw my shoulder all the way to Florida.

Is it more like a shove than a crack? Is it something you can get used to with a little bit of practice, kind of like that odd 9mm "snappiness"? Does it cause pain? Or just momentary soreness?

How much practice do you really need with a shotgun to be reasonably good (at ranges of 10-15 yards)? Do I need to be practicing every week? (Mostly I ask because it looks like there might be a handgun range near me, but nowhere to shoot long arms.) Can I just get used to it and then put it in my closet for a while?

Thanks!

-Jon, the super newbie

Page generated in 0.02872 seconds with 8 queries