View Single Post
Old September 16, 2011, 08:29 PM   #1
snuffy

Deep curl speer-expansion test

Last month a thread was started about deep curl bullets. I said I'd try some in my expansion testing tubes. Well here's the first one, a 308 caliber 165 grain from a 30-06. Rifle used is older than I am,(66 in jan), a 03-A3 springfield.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=608729

Here's a few pics;

Notice how the lead has clung to the inside of the jacket. That's what meant by "BONDING". There can be no doubt that the deep curl bullet is truly bonded.

Penetration was completely through an out the end of the 10 inches of the expansion medium, a soft wax. The guys at the bullet test tube website say that a standard rifle size test tube will stop a standard caliber like the -06. Well, I had to devise a backup plan. I made a coupler to attach to the back of the test tube, another section of 6" tube stuffed with rags. The rags are tough for a bullet to penetrate, especially one that's fully expanded and slowed way down. The bullet was just inside the first layer of cloth, an old "T" shirt.

http://www.thebullettesttube.com/

What was the results? Since this was my first time using this medium, I can't say I was impressed with the wound channel. It is quite narrow. The expanded bullet weighs out at 122.6 grains. Meaning it lost 42.4 grains. The wound track shows shards of lead which could be left behind in meat. The expanded slug is .650 across it's widest point.

Penetration was good. I would say bordering on excellent. But I may find out that all standard rifle bullets will go all the way through the test tube. I also tested a .223 60 grain nosler partition. That's a subject for another thread, coming soon. I also have several other "hunting weights" to test for .223.

Velocity was an estimated 2650, the tube was at 25 yards. Why not 100? Because the springfield has irons on it, these tired old eyes can't shoot irons that far out.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Page generated in 0.02485 seconds with 8 queries