View Single Post
Old July 14, 2008, 03:50 AM   #294
kamerer

Quote:
R215313 - Model 60
Nineteen-hundred and seventy-eight, my friend.

You are on the right track. What I do with gritty or older guns is this:

1) Remove sideplate (proper fitting and hollow-ground screwdriver so as to not bugger the heads or scratch the gun, remove grips, strike bare grip frame with screwdriver handle or wooden hammer handle until plate vibrates off, else you will tweak it if you pry).

2) Spray liberal amounts of brake cleaner everywhere, and repeat until it is very clean and shiny in there. Gun Scrubber would work for this, too, but brake cleaner is about as effective and much cheaper.

3) blast out with compressed air

4) apply light, very light coating of oil to bearing/sliding surfaces (rebound slide, sear/hammer/trigger, stud bosses) - ATF is very good. Apply with a q-tip or sometimes I use bearing/assembly oil in a squeeze bottle with a tiny plastic tube applicator. You want to be minimalist about this.

5) close gun and don't oil the innards again for a good LONG time.

Most people over-lubricate and with the wrong lubricant. They oxidize to varnish or gum, and also help attract lint and powder residue.

Grant Cunningham has one of the best sources of info about gun lubrication on his blog/web site. If you are tempted to go in there with a stone or file, resist that temptation unless you REALLY know what you are doing. Smoothing the sides of the rebound slide is OK, but don't touch the trigger/hammer/sear, or the hammer seat on the rebound slide except under expert guidance, such as with Kuhnhausen's S&W shop manual or Jerry Miculek's DVD guide.

Page generated in 0.02669 seconds with 8 queries