View Single Post
Old October 6, 2011, 09:49 AM   #4
30-30remchester

Welcome, an interesting piece of history you have. I would think I not the only person that would like to see photos of the entire gun. The numbers by the trigger are assemblers marks. Winchester used these same marking till well into the 1950's at least. Next your bull steer comment makes we wonder if you meant bull OR steer. Cause there is a vast difference between the 2 animals. Your buttstock appears to have been poorly sanded in the past. I am curious if this is truly a half amgazined rifle from the factory or is possibly if the tube was damaged and just shortened. A close up photo of the underside barrel will answer this question. As to the carving being exclusive to 1894's, I am afraid that is not so. I have seen many older guns with carved stocks. May be of German heritage as many older German guns were so carved. Many people personalised their guns, many still do such things to their boats and cars. While the carving distracts from collectors value, this gun has definately got that, "Been there, done that and got the scars to prove it" look about it. Im not sure simple green would be the cleaning solution I would use on a fine old antique firearm. Please dont alter this gun in anyway. This gun has your families history written all over it in the scars it carries.

Page generated in 0.02154 seconds with 8 queries