View Single Post
Old March 13, 2011, 11:56 PM   #22
Stick_man

OK, here's a couple thoughts that I had about the issue. When you have a bullet get stuck in the barrel, is there a lot of unburned powder also in the barrel/case? If so, that would tend to indicate bad powder, a very weak primer, or a very weak crimp.

Another thought was (until rereading the post) possibly an oversized bullet. With very low recoil compared to non-stick loads, I don't think that is very likely though. So, back to my first thoughts on it.

If the powder has been improperly stored or possibly having gotten wet at some time, it could be very inconsistent in it's burn rate. How old is the powder? How old are the primers? Are you using Magnum or Standard SP primers?

Your crimps looked good in the posted pictures, but I noticed a cannelure showing on some but not all your rounds. Is your overall length the same on all rounds?

Just tossing out ideas here. I have heard of some manufacturers having QA issues with some of their lighter bullets. It seems like diameters were one of the issues. I don't recall if the XTPs (or even Hornady for that matter) were among those listed with inconsistencies or not. My experience with XTPs has been pretty positive, but I have always gone for the 140s or 158s in .38 caliber for use in the .357magnum. It has been over 25 years since I have loaded anything jacketed into a .38Special case.

Page generated in 0.02169 seconds with 8 queries