View Single Post
Old June 17, 2009, 06:54 PM   #215
BillCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanya
If I thought I could intervene (by shooting) relatively safely -- if I were behind cover and the shooter couldn't see me, for example -- I might choose to do so. That would be a moral choice in this situation, but it would be a choice, not an imperative.
I concur that taking the shot is not 100% risk free, but if there is a good chance of stopping the killer, it would be difficult to live with the idea that I simply walked (or ran) away and other people died because of that choice. This differs from "survivor's guilt" because rather than being saved by random chance, I would know that taking the least risk option would likely cost others their lives.

Quote:
More likely, my intervention would consist of doing the "call-911-and-be-a-good-witness" thing, which is, IMHO, a moral and responsible course of action in a situation like this. How I'd feel, emotionally, about having stayed out of the line of fire when intervening might have saved lives is another issue, but it's entirely separate from the ethical one.
This is where I disagree. If there is a moment where you, crouched behind some form of cover or concealment with gun in hand and have an opportunity to shoot a mass-killer with what appears to be a high degree of success... but instead you choose to exit the establishment, find cover and dial 911, you will have to question your moral values and whether you should ever expect any other person to provide you with the smallest of aid when your life is at risk.

Not for the choice you made, but if others have your same outlook, why should any citizen expose his/herself to any liabilty or risk to pull you from a smoking car wreck, even at a time when the risk is low? If your choice is to always take the "retreat" option, then do you have any right to expect other citizens or emergency workers to take any risks for you, your daughter or other family members?

Those who claim that their only duty is to look out for themselves and their own family are not, IMO, living up to their responsibilities as citizens.

Page generated in 0.02762 seconds with 8 queries