View Single Post
Old February 7, 2009, 04:05 PM   #6
timmcdivitt

Quote:
But it seems to me more likely you have inadvertently purchased long range scope bases. These are available with a built-in elevation addition because you can't normally adjust a scope high enough to get on paper at 1000 yards without them. Conversely, of course, once you have them, you have to adjust the scope down a lot to be on paper at short range. You can buy those bases well beyond the range of adjustment in a scope, and that would explain your symptom. Check a catalog of scope bases for the rifle and purchase a standard set.
The scope bases I use are Burris Xtreme Tactical Bases, which according to Burris are not long range bases.

I've also removed the bases and confirmed they are the same thickness. I still haven't found any glaring mistakes in the way my gun is put together.

Currently I'm using the Burris bases and Leupold QRW rings. All are made to fit and everything seems to go together okay.

I know that I could just shim the rear base and have everything work out, I'm just worried about that causing more problems down the road. I know that the Burris rings would do the job of the shim, so maybe I'll just have to go with those, even though my Leupolds cost 60 or so bucks.

Quote:
Yep sounds like you've got 20 or 30 MOA bases... Get rid of the 2 piece and go to a 1 piece base.
Does anyone know of a reliable one piece base made for Savage rifles? I know sharpshootersupply sells some for about 60 bucks, are these any good?

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by timmcdivitt; February 7, 2009 at 10:05 PM.

Page generated in 0.02105 seconds with 8 queries