Thread: Gun Cleaning
View Single Post
Old March 13, 2013, 10:25 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Everyone tells me I'm never going to get my barrel perfectly clean now that I've shot it, but I enjoy spending absurd amounts of time with solvent scrubbing it. The problem I have is that no amount of effort seems to be removing these light grey colored deposits I have in the grooves towards the end of the barrel.
Try RemClean. Be sure to follow the directions on the bottle. If you don't shake it frequently to keep the mild abrasive in suspension, it will be remarkably ineffective.

I wouldn't use it on a regular basis, but for occasional use to get the last little bit of crud or copper fouling out of a bore, it's hard to find anything that works better.

Also be sure to thoroughly flush the cleaner from the bore when you're done and avoid getting it anywhere you can't completely remove it.
Quote:
I've got a nylon bristle bore brush so I can scrub all I want without worrying about a metal bristled brush scratching the inside of the barrel.
A properly fitting bronze or brass brush will be FAR more effective at removing fouling than a nylon brush. I tried a nylon brush for the first time this year--figured there must be something to them since people make & sell them and gun owners buy them.

It was a waste of my time. A bronze brush works much better and faster and should be safe to use on virtually any firearm. I tend to avoid their use in rimfires for two reasons. First of all, they're not necessary in rimfires, and second, rimfire rifling is much more delicate and rimfire barrels tend to be softer.

I would avoid using steel bore brushes completely. I've never found them to be necessary.

Page generated in 0.03678 seconds with 8 queries