View Single Post
Old April 28, 2013, 09:51 PM   #24
SaxonPig

Yes, SAAMI pressure NOW is 20,000. They lowered it for no reason other than on advice of counsel. When S&W introduced the 38 Special in the 1890s it was designed for 21,500 PSI and that was the standard until 1972 or 74 when they lowered it.

I believe I mentioned in my paper that there are specialty ammo makers who do push the envelope. I speak of mainstream (Winchester, Remington, etc.) +P ammo when I call it weak and unimpressive. C'mon, a 125 at 925 is a powerhouse? Give me a break.

I also mention in the text that the quality of the gun must be considered. Obviously if one has a cheap, broken down imported pistol it likely should not be fired at all. But such guns are never mentioned in these questions, the queries almost always center of various Colt and S&W revolvers. All of these are fine with +P in any amount.

Again the notion of the beginning of model stamping (on S&Ws) is raised as a guideline. Why? What is different about the last gun made W/O the model number and the first one made with it? Nothing.

As for the observation that things are different now with new technology and all, then why weren't guns blowing up back in the good old days if those loads were so overpressure but we didn't know it?

I am not reading any criticism here that I have not already dealt with in the paper.

Like I said, I know I am tilting at windmills. You all are free to do what you think best. If you think that 125@925 load is going to blow up or wear out your S&W then by all means avoid it.

Page generated in 0.03297 seconds with 8 queries