View Single Post
Old April 20, 2001, 11:46 PM   #38
Elizabeth Petersen

<begin rant mode>

Okay.

Not going to second guess the actions of the homeowner that shot the kid...I wasn't there, so I can't judge him.

However, I am rather surprised and somewhat appalled at some of the posts on this thread. I was sitting here, reading this, thinking "My God, are they really condoning shooting someone for stealing some chickens? While running away?" even knowing (I assume the homeowner was not aware he was shooting at a kid) that the theif was only 14, people here are still supportive of the use of deadly force? WOW...

Now, this got me thinking. How many people here, HONESTLY, have NEVER BROKEN THE LAW. Come on. Let's be realistic here, people. Fourteen years old. Seriously stupid age. I know I did plenty of really dumb things at that age. Who didn't? Who didn't do stupid/illegal/dangerous things when they were a kid? Hmmmm? Anyone?

Answer me this. Do any of you ever...

...carry a concealed weapon without a license?
...exceed the speed limit?
...lie to a cop about why you were speeding?
...drive after one too many beers?
...use fake ID to get in a bar, buy alchol or cigarettes?
...lie on your income tax forms?
...keep something you found that wasn't yours?
...take office supplies from work that were not yours?
...get angry enough with a spouse or significant other to throw something/hit something/break something?
...take a pot shot at an inanimate object or structure during some unscheduled target practice?
...hunt off season?
...carve your initials into a park bench?
...take someone else's prescription medication (hey honey, my back is killing me..can I have one of your percocets?)
...anything else that was technically ILLEGAL but did not involve threatening or harming another person?

So. Anyone do any of those? Hmm? Think you deserve to be shot for them? Think your 14 year old son or daughter, while boosting some tootsie rolls from the local Stop and Rob should be gunned down by the clerk as he or she runs away?

THINK people. We are a civilized nation. At least, I thought we were.

<end rant mode>

Vulnus pectoris sugens ne properetis mos naturae dicendi est

Ask me about my Hemingway Death Wish. I dare you.

Page generated in 0.02486 seconds with 8 queries