View Single Post
Old May 11, 2007, 03:31 PM   #11
Chris Phelps

I read a book called "Inside Delta Force" by Eric Haney. Actually, it's one of my favorite books. Anyway... Through parts of the book, the author goes on to talk about certain aspects of how they train, and why they train that way. He points out that in extreme close quarters during high speed situations, using the sights on your firearm (be it handgun or rifle) would be a potentially catastrophic mistake. He goes on to explain how they train until they get to the point where they can simply pull their firearm up and shoot exactly where you are looking, without having to use the sights.

After thinking about that for a while, I decided to start practicing without using the sights at all. I started with a 22LR, since the ammo had to be cheap. I would hold my pistol at a 45 degree angle between the ground and the target, and draw and fire immediatly. I was suprised at how close I was when I started. You'd be amazed at how you are already doing this by reflex, more or less.

After I got to the point where I could punch an 8 x 11 sheet of paper at 15 feet, I started moving back. I got out to 50 feet and was still punching 8 x 11 paper. I pulled the targets back in to 20 feet and started working on moving shots. Walking, spinning around, exc. Then starting with the pistol on the table in front of me and having to go for it.

After about 3 weeks and about 4,000 rounds of 22lr ammo, I could hit the piece of paper from everywhere within 50 feet of me, and from just about every position. I moved on to my 9MM. I found that, while shooting the 9MM, I could punch the paper in very much the same way for the first 2 shots, but then they started scattering under rapid fire. Some would go high and left. High and right. Some would hit the post below the target. the 22LR was definitely easier for rapid followup shots... but we ALL know that by now.

My point is this... If you arent competing, and you arent shooting long distances... then you are most likely training for a situation which will either happen too quick, or be too dark to use your sights. Work on shooting without aiming. It will come to you, probably faster than you realize, but you still need the trigger time to make it work. Just like everything else.
Bushmaster Superlight AR-15 5.56mm / Custom 24" Heavy BBL Varmint AR-15 5.56mm / Ruger M77 .257 Roberts / Ruger MKI 22LR Pistol / EAA Witness 9mm Pistol / Daisy 2202 22LR / Remington Viper 522 22LR / Stevens 200 .223 / Savage 10FP 24" .308 / Mauser 98 Sporter 30-06

Page generated in 0.03585 seconds with 8 queries