View Single Post
Old March 14, 2011, 03:59 PM   #14
Clark

The Jet, Grizzly, Precision Matthews, and virtually any lathe for gunsmithing that is with in the price range of gunsmithing is going to be made with mostly interchangeable parts from China.

Chinese national businessmen* are almost impossible to deal with for green horn Americans.

Jet, Grizzly, Precision Matthews, Harbor Freight, ect all do a great job of fighting with the Chinese to get the product, and then supporting the customer.

I think the Precision Matthews has a great foot break and upgraded contactors [relays] as a pro compared to the others.

I think that the Precision Mathews quick change gears with dial driven rack an pinion selector is inferior to the old U shaped selectors.

This thread got me to buy a Precision Matthews PM1236, and on page 19 of the thread you can see me fixing mine when I screwed it up after a year:
link to candlepower thread

Kombayotch, one of the smartest gun posters on the internet has since purchased a PM1236, so don't question MY wisdom about the purchase.

Lathes are like guitars, and Eric Clapton will sound better than me with any brand guitar. Likewise my brother and his Jet seem to produce jewelry like gunsmithing, while mine looks like the work of Homer Simpson.

What does it all mean?
It won't matter that much what brand of lathe you get. 12x36 is big enough for gunsmithing.

*Chinese American businessmen are extremely honest, and completely different culture.

Page generated in 0.03538 seconds with 8 queries