View Single Post
Old April 10, 2013, 10:59 PM   #18
Colorado Redneck

I bought a Brunton ADC Windmeter a couple of years ago. Seems like it was $40-50 American. I tested the thing by holding it out the window of the truck and driving at different speeds and comparing the speedometer to the wind meter. It is pretty accurate by that standard.

Using the wind meter while shooting is pretty handy. By holding it out at arms length and slowly turning as you watch the wind velocity you can determine generally which direction the wind is blowing right where you are shooting from, as well as getting a pretty good idea of the wind speed. Otherwise, it just a WAG.

I also agree with Brian. The effect of wind is easy to overstimate, if you put too much faith in the calculators. It seems like doing the calc's would be more practical. I have made some pretty long shots on prairie dogs with a side wind measured at 5-7 mph, and had only 2-3 inches of windage adjustment, where the online calculator suggested 7-10 inches. The best method in the field is to use a rifle that allows you to maintain sight picture (like the 204 Ruger) and watch where the dirt flies at impact.

Page generated in 0.03793 seconds with 8 queries