View Single Post
Old November 1, 2012, 12:39 AM   #9
Creeper

Quote:
I don't know why Swarovski does it that way but I believe they always have and there must be a reason
For a mildot or ranging reticle scope, the subtention of a SFP is preset to be accurate at only one magnification... so you may be screwing up or down to use the ranging function. There is less subtention at higher magnification, which can be beneficial for a high mag, precision target scope and especially at known ranges. You can learn to range at other magnifications with a SFP, but that will require a first hand education with a specific scope and reticle design.

With a FFP, the subtention is accurate at all magnification settings. For many, this is preferred because no matter what the magnification, you have accurate holdover and windage reference, the ranging is still fully functional without adjustment, and... unlike the SFP, no potential exists for the reticle to alter POI as magnification changes.

How important is it to have one or the other? I prefer FFP for most all uses but known range, competitive target shooting where the ability to split hairs is critical. There are benefits to both in their own best environments... so pick your scope based on intended use.

IMO... Knowing your scope and your cartridge ballistics intimately is more important than what kind of scope you have.

C

Page generated in 0.03940 seconds with 8 queries