View Single Post
Old January 5, 2000, 09:15 PM   #7
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I should have specified "Match" bullets - although I'm not aware of any 168 grain hunting bullets.

Will - the target area of the deer varies with distance. Most are popped at 75 yards or less. Some were getting a dose out to 150 y or so depending on the circumstances. The guys using the .270 were popping them at 50 yards or less. Usually if it's under 75 yards or so a head shot is preferred. Got to remember, this is usually at night with a Q beam.

Another factor is time available. If it's only for a night or two, you may start popping them when you can see them. If they get smart, it may be a matter of hitting them when you can get a shot.

The early Nosler BTs were soft. I am under the impression that Nosler has "toughened" them up. I popped a couple of does last year and had perfect penetration. (shoulder shots)

The impact velocity, as you know, will determine what the bullet does. If you start a bullet designed for a .308/-06 at 3100 fps out of a .300 Weatherby, you may get imperfect results. One buddy of mine used 150 grain Core-Loks out of his .300 and couldn't quite get a handle on why they wouldn't exit a deer. Killed them dead though.

Labgrade - the Matchkings (168 and 175 grains) were approved for use by the military in 1992. The USMC got a ruling on their legitimacy and then the Army followed suit. Those rounds are in combat use today.

FWIW, the Spec Ops folks were approved for fragmenting rounds (JHP for the most part) in any confrontation involving terrorists. Seems the ruling is that terriorists are not soldiers.

Giz

------------------
"I don't make enough money to buy cheap stuff" - Mark Manning

Page generated in 0.03156 seconds with 8 queries