View Single Post
Old October 16, 2002, 03:08 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

A single action should be timed by careful fitting of the bolt spring part and the other parts so that everything happens in the proper order and time when the gun is cocked.

First, as the hammer is drawn back, the bolt has to be drawn down to release the cylinder, then the top pawl of the hand has to engage the ratchet. As the cylinder starts to turn, the second pawl of the hand begins to engage the next step of the ratchet. Then as the hammer continues back, the bolt must drop into the "leade" (the little "V" or "U" shaped cut in the cylinder). (If it drops too soon, it will mar the cylinder.) Then the hammer should stop on the rear grip strap just as the hand forces the cylinder around far enough that the bolt drops into its slot. The hammer hitting the grip strap takes the force of the hammer cocking off the bolt and hand and saves a lot of wear and tear.

Getting all this stuff to work together is called "timing" the gun, and it is tricky. There is a book by Kuhnhausen, which I have, but honestly have not really dug into it very deeply; you might find it useful.

Have fun and good luck. I would recommend a gunsmith but there are almost none any more who know how to time a single action, and I have seen several guns that were royally f**ked up by incompetent gunsmiths.

Jim

Page generated in 0.02057 seconds with 8 queries