View Single Post
Old December 24, 2011, 10:26 AM   #40
oldgranpa

this is a most interesting thread, and very real. Most houses have a wood frame, especially the roof. While wood has a very low 'coeficent of expansion', in the hot summer, the roof especially gets hot enough to produce slight expansion of the wooden rafters. Then at night, when it gets cool, slight contraction will occur, and spots with a few less nails may move producing an audible 'pop' sound which can be heard in the house below.
I've decided a number of times during the summer especially that the 'Bump in the Night' is the result of the nose from the roof.
Another case was when the gas water heater in the garage got old and would turn on with a loud poof sounding like something falling. Finally found that out and replaced the water heater!
Nevertheless, I do check the house and doors to be sure.
A noise coming from outside is a whole different thing and like those posting here, it's wise to check things out with a firearm in hand.
Mine is a S&W snub with night sights loaded with .357mag!
Ignorance are those that reject the Second Ammendment. The 'Bump' might get them!!
og

(for those with lots of very real "Bumps", sleep with some long pajama pants on so you don't get caught bare az chasing the perp!

Page generated in 0.03053 seconds with 8 queries