Thread: Lite Loads
View Single Post
Old October 1, 2004, 05:02 PM   #4
Paul B.

Well, it would help to know what case you're loading, but based on your general info, I'd say in in that case, probably not. As far as grits or any other cereal filler, I'd run, not walk, away from that idea as fast as I could.
This is from my own personal experience, so you can take it for what you feel it is worth. I had been loading some 45-70 ammo with a 330 gr. hollow point bullet and SR-4759. The charge didn't even come up half wy to the neck so I used Cream of Wheat for a filler. I made a dipper that would put enough filler to come within 1/8" of the top of the case, then I'd seat the bullet compressing the powder and filler. There has to be sufficient compression to keep the powder from migrating into the filler due to vibration, being jostled in the pocket of the box of ammo bouncing around in the glove box of the truck. Due to a feed malfunction, I had to break down one of those rounds to salvage what I could. Tha Cream of Wheat was as hard as a rock and it took some vigorous digging with a screwderiver to get it all out. Now, these load shot well on my two 45-70 rifles. very accurate, good velocity, a really good load. As you probably know, the 45-70 is a straight walled case. What if I had loaded up ammo using a bottle necked case like a 30-06 or even the mild 30-30? If that cereal filler was that hard in one of those, the pressures could rise astronomically and ruin a nice rifle.
Dacron works well in most cases, although some say it should not be used un straight walled cases as it could ring the chamber. I haven't figured that one out yet, so I'll take their word for it, for now.
Kapok is supposed to be good as a filler, and years ago was quite available. Today, it's hard to find. I'd suggest a furniture restoation place. They might have some laying around when they replaced it with dacron.
With either dacron or Kapok, a .5 to 1.0 gr. tuft is usually sufficient.
But any cereal filler? I'd aviod them like AIDS.
Paul B.

Page generated in 0.03218 seconds with 8 queries