View Single Post
Old March 16, 2013, 06:15 PM   #47
HiBC

Pond,I understand your comment on unburned powder jamming between the crane and frame.
I learned about this with a Model 10 S+W 30 some years ago.When you push the ejector rod,develop the habit to have the muzzle pointed straight up at the sky.Then any unburned powder will will not fall where it will cause trouble.It is also a problem if it gets between the star shaped ejector plate and the cylinder.

The advice to up the powder charge for cleaner burning seems to have worked for you.

That 25.2 load seemed most consisant for velocity,though data is limited.

You are using jacketed bullets.Hopefully,they have a cannelure to crimp into.Observe how much crimp the cannelure is happy with.Trust your eyes.If you have no cannelure,your crimping will be limited.

Crimping serves two purposes in a revolver.It does aid in good ignition before the cyl gap bleeds off pressure,and it also helps retain the bullets in the case under recoil.With full power .44 magnum loads and inadequate crimp,recoil works like an inertial bullet puller,the rounds can get longer,and even tie up the cylinder.

I'd be a bit leary of looking for "pressure signs".IMO,those apply more in the pressure range of modern,strong centerfire rifle actions,such as the 98 Mauser design.The pressure signs that may occur at 65,000 psi in a rifle are not so useful if you are trying to work in the 38,000 psi range.

For your handgun,a better plan might be to use the VV loading data ,your bullet mfg'rs loading data to get a good idea of where max is,then also use your chronograph to verify the results.There is a correlation between velocity and pressure that is more reliable than reading primers or ease of extraction.Pay attention to those signs,of course,but is,hypothetically,a 6 in bbl max load is 1325 fps ,and you get to 1300 with a 4 1/2 in bbl,I would not add more powder.

A really critical mental discipline will be the follow through/calling the shot.Make sre you can "freeze" the image of the sight picture in your mind at recoil,and know where the shot went on the target,as,"a 7 at 3 oclock"

If you can do that,your eyes were not closed.

Have fun!

Page generated in 0.02496 seconds with 8 queries