View Single Post
Old February 27, 2009, 11:06 AM   #31
skoro

Danger from Mexico

I live just a few short miles from the border. The situation in Mexico is probably more precarious than any of you imagine, and it's certainly much more unstable than it's being reported in the news media here in the states. Mexico is imploding. The Mexican federal government has rather tenuous control over a number of cities where the drug cartels are strong. The cartels have so much money that many federal troops and law officers are bought and paid for by the drug lords. They wear the uniform, but they're loyal to their paymasters.

Crime is so rampant and apprehensions so rare that many otherwise law-abiding folks in Mexico are now engaging in petty crimes and even kidnapping because they know there will never be any consequences.

While I doubt that the violence will spill over into the US in any big way, it IS the reason that I got my concealed carry license and now pack daily. The drug cartels are not in any way interested in having shootouts with American citizens in the US. The violence they cause here in the States is against their drug rivals or rogue members of their own organization, so far.

But I would caution everyone to stay the hell away from Mexico for the forseeable future. The situation is chaotic, unpredictable, and hazardous. It's a completely different ballgame when you're on their turf. I think any US citizen in Mexico is at risk. For kidnapping or potentially worse.

Page generated in 0.02659 seconds with 8 queries