View Single Post
Old December 29, 2013, 03:30 PM   #18
Jimro

Eh, just old guys chasing rabbit holes.

In terms of the AI process, you won't get much from the 7mm Rem Mag. Just like the 6.5x55 Swede, it already has a pretty decent shoulder angle and is considered "overbore."

If you did it, it wouldn't match the 7mm STW which is the 8mm Rem Mag blown out and necked down to 7mm. The STW needs an action that can handle the fulle 375 H&H cartridge length though.

In my opinion, the juice ain't worth the squeeze. I don't even see 7mm Rem Mag Improved as a special order die for reloading by RCBS. If the cost of a 7mm Weatherby is prohibitive, the cost of truly custom dies should be a red flag for you too.

If you want to hunt, the 7mm Rem Mag is more than enough for North America. If you want to shoot long range, the 7mm Rem Mag can keep up with the 300 and 338 Magnums out past 1400 meters (and further, but I don't know too many folks who have access to ranges that long).

Let us know how your project turns out. My pet load for 7mm Rem Mag is a max charge of IMR7828 under a 175gr Sierra Game King, Federal Brass and a CCI magnum rifle primer. Easy on the shoulder, groups around 3/4 of an inch from my buddie's Mauser (with a McGowen 26" barrel).

Jimro

Page generated in 0.02608 seconds with 8 queries