View Single Post
Old August 14, 2012, 06:53 AM   #19
jephthai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B. View Post
jephthai, there are range conditions when there's no wind; a realistic situation. How else could someone shoot a dozen or more 10-shot groups at 600 yards and all are under 1.5 inches. That's been done, albiet with boattail bullets.
They may also read the wind. At last Saturday's match everyone was abuzz about the previous match (which I missed), where a gentleman shot a 597 in which one string was 11 x in a row before he dipped into the 10. That's not 1/4moa, but it's under 1/2. Our range is never calm, and wasn't for that string. We had another guy a month or so ago shoot a 599-37x, which means over half of his shots were within 1/2moa on a windy range.

I would argue that such performance is a feat of wind reading, not bullet performance in lucky conditions. Heck, i could do it with my kit if i had a brain to read the wind . I'm pretty sure that 'no wind' occurs very rarely across a 600 yard distance.

Quote:
Barrels whip at the same frequency (and therefore, the multiples thereof which are its harmonics) for every shot fired. It's metalurgy properties defining its rigidity (or stiffness) don't change with bullets, nor velocity for that matter.
So you're saying bearing surface has no effect on whip? I spent a good amount of time discussing such things with one of the tuner guys, and he seemed to think that his tuner needed to be adjusted for each bullet due to changes in whip...

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Page generated in 0.02537 seconds with 8 queries