View Single Post
Old June 14, 2005, 07:28 AM   #3
bclark1

yea, even though i've been too busy to actually play much, i hail from the university that's taken most of the national collegiate paintball championships in recent years and was involved with said club. while i've got no fprmal tactical training, i'm not sure it's quite realistic. for one, except at very close ranges, you can get away with slow reactions since the balls' muzzle velocity is 300fps and drops quickly as it's basically a semisolid 68 caliber ball. with how the deployment platfroms are too it's really more like a sort of wacky close quarters battle; most "good" players have markers that can exceed 20 balls per second. not sure if you get much use out of the PDWs in full-auto but those rates of fire can get wacky. the ammo capacity is just way up there too, with hoppers holding 150+ balls. i guess you could control these things but it's really a limiter as these guns and the game itself is designed around the status-quo. for example feed reliability is still well lower than that of actual guns, coupled with people's ability to "dodge" balls moving 200fps or so they are basically just built to be able to lay down "streams" of paint and clear out bad ones as quickly as possible in the hopes that someone will pop their head up at the wrong time when you've got a line of paint coming in on them. i guess there's some stuff you can take from it - i'd actually like to get active in the club again as i put it on like a yearlong hiatus - but if you're looking for training first and less-lethal second, i think there might be better options for training. one thing that always interested me were actual paint rounds for the guns. they're basically blanks with a small plastic divider and an actual paint bullet hooked into the end. i understand they're only available to law enforcement, and i still don't entirely follow the concept, but it certainly seemed like a realistic and interesting premise.

Page generated in 0.03781 seconds with 8 queries