View Single Post
Old August 5, 2001, 01:33 PM   #2
Guyon

Glockster,

The limiting factor here is that you want to turkey hunt--a situation best served by a tight choke, a shorter barrel, and a 3" chamber. Some of the 2 3/4" magnum loads work well for turkey, but most turkey hunters use 3" shells. 3 1/2" is overkill IMHO.

I'd probably look for a Remington 870 in a turkey set up. You could add a set of Tru-Glo fiber optic sights for about $25. Since you'd already have a short barrel, you could screw in an IC choke and you'd be all set for deer slugs or for HD uses. (Actually, the XF choke would be okay for HD since choke is really meaningless at HD distances.)

Then if you want to bird hunt or shoot occasional clay birds, you could get an additional barrel. A 28" would work fine for those tasks.

The whole set up (gun and two barrels) probably shouldn't run you more than $450. As an example, I bought an 870 Express Super-Mag Turkey gun in black synthetic for about $300 total. (Even though I don't shoot the 3 1/2" shells, I can if I want to.) Extra barrels can be found for $100 to $150.

Another route is to get one of the Remington 870 combos. They come in a 28" RemChoke barrel & 20" IC barrel with iron sights OR a 26" RemChoke barrel & 20" rifled barrel with iron sights. The only problem here is that none of these barrels are best suited for turkey hunting. The longer barrels will work okay since you can screw in an XF choke, but they're not ideal for the task.

Page generated in 0.02678 seconds with 8 queries