View Single Post
Old October 23, 2013, 11:41 PM   #44
doofus47

As a bad generalization, things got ridiculously easier from 2009 on. A lot of makers added cams that were adjustable for draw length with out changing the entire cam module. A lot of the other technology seems to have been optimized around then as well. You could probably find a very nicely equipped used bow for 500. I'd start in the 5-600 range and see what you like in the new or consignment racks at your local shop.

There's a website called http://compoundbowchoice.com/tools/comparator/
that gives you a lot to think about with recent compound choices.

My buddy and I went elk hunting via archery this fall. I took my elite pulse. He went with his traditional recurve. He saw elk all day long. I saw moose all day long. However, all of his elk were at 35 yards plus, AKA "out of range." So, it's still hunting.

Traditional archery is "cleaner" for sure; and in many ways it's easier also, but when you have a 5x5 standing 40 yards away across a clearing, you might find yourself wishing you had your big boy bow.

Poundage is like "magnum." Everyone thinks bigger is better, but accuracy is still king. If you can put all your arrows into a 4" circle at 40 yards with a 50 lb bow, you'll be fine on a hunt. For a bow, you want nice long valley so you can hold your drawn arrow for some time until you are sure of your target. A bow that wants to jump out of your hand as soon as you draw it back is a bit wearisome.

Now is an odd time to be looking for deals. On one hand, a lot of people are buying bows for this season. On the other, the new bow season models are beginning to come out, so shops are making deals on 2013 bows. Going to a shop might be a good idea. You can find great built bows used on ebay, craigslist, etc in the spring and summer.

Make friends with your local archery shop guys. They are usually evangelists and will talk your ear off giving advice to "the new guy."

edit:
oh, and crossbows are only used in rifle season here in colorado. fyi

Page generated in 0.02110 seconds with 8 queries